Re: comments on 'private use' section of proposal - Sanity check

From: Steve Axthelm <steveax@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:02:49 -0700
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
cc: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 2010-07-19 Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com> wrote:

>But hand-authoring HTML email? I have never heard of someone doing
>that. I presume it is possible, but I don't know of any software that
>supports it and I don't know of anyone who uses /usr/ucb/mail and
>sends HTML mail, or writes their email in HTML by hand and uses a
>custom tool to push it to an SMTP server. I seriously doubt that such
>people exist in triple-digit numbers, to be honest.

Email "blasts" to marketing lists are often authored by hand (or
use templates that were originally authored by hand.) You're
talking a _lot_ more than triple digits there.

Regards,

-Steve

--
Steve Axthelm