Re: comments on 'private use' section of proposal - Sanity check

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:51:21 -0400, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
wrote:

> On 07/19/2010 09:51 AM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>> Actually, I exchange hand-authored HTML all the time. For example, I
>> write slides in HTML, and then present them to an audience to whom I
>> don't actually give a copy of the slides. So I know that the
>> presentation of the slides is the only time anyone will interact with
>> them.
>>
>> Equally, I write content for a small audience - HTML is a rich document
>> format, just like OpenOffice/Word etc, or PDF. Since I work on the
>> format, and software for it, and since it is easy to create and easy to
>> read anywhere, I find it natural to use it whenever plain text is
>> insufficient. So I exchange documents all the time in hand-written HTML
>> (as well as tool-generated HTML) with known audiences.
>>
>> But hand-authoring HTML email? I have never heard of someone doing that.
>> I presume it is possible,... I seriously doubt that such people exist in
>> triple-digit numbers, to be honest.
>
> There are plenty of people (certainly greater than triple digits) which
> create templates and simple scripts which fill in those templates and
> send the results as email.

Mea Culpa for emailing before I thought hard.

Steve pointed out another such large group. In each case, interestingly, I
think the author of the email is unlikely to know to whom it is being
sent, so the exception based on audience is irrelevant. In the case Steve
pointed out, the generator exception would apparently also be irrelevant.
Is there some reason why it should hold in the case where people are
building a template?

(One things that comes to mind is where a photo is sent to a site that
processes it automatically - but then, why would such a process not
include passing an alternative on?)

cheers

Chaals