Re: WebKit feedback on ISSUE-100 (remove srcdoc)

On 7/17/10 6:37 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
> 5) The implementation burden for @srcdoc is very light.  We estimate
> that an experienced WebKit engineer could implement the feature in
> about a day.

Honestly, given the way the spec is written right now, just checking
that an implementation is correct would take more than a day... For
example, I _think_ the character encoding of the srcdoc document ends up
being "UTF-16"... but I'm not sure.  And I'm not even sure how much of
the spec one would have to read to be sure.

For that matter, it's not clear to me whether behavior is sanely defined
if the scrdoc document contains <meta charset=""> stuff.

> Also, ongoing maintenance seems minimal.

That depends on how other parts of the spec get modified...  Since
srcdoc support in the spec is a matter of a sentence here and there in
other sorts of parts of the spec (the HTML parser, the code that assigns
origins to documents, the code that handles loading iframes), changes to
srcdoc can lead to changes in spec text and code all over the place.
And changes to those other parts of the spec can affect srcdoc support.

I agree that a simple and "probably mostly correct" implementation of
srcdoc is not a big implementation burden.  I think a "I'm very sure
this is what the spec says" implementation is.

-Boris

P.S.  Of course in other UAs the implementation burden can also be
greater depending on what infrastructure is in place already.  For
example, Gecko hasn't really had to have an infrastructure for loading
random data into browsers while making it look like a navigation to a
url, sort of, so tat would have to be created to implement srcdoc.