Decentralized poetry markup (language)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:23:28 +0100
To: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Dr. Olaf Hoffmann, Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:59:53 +0100:
> Tab Atkins Jr.:
>> 2010/1/19 Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>:
>>> Well several members of the working group convinced me in the
>>> previous discussions, that HTML5 (HyperText Markup Language Vesion 5)
>>> is not the right place for poetry, literature or text, it cares about
>>> other things  (I did not ask or look into details, about what else it
>>> cares) - therefore it was suggested to use another language to markup
>>> text or to use RDF(a) and a specific vocabulary.

> If we continue to discuss this, we should change the topic,

Done. ;-)

> Some responses are added in the wiki.
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/PoeticSemantics

> Already the first response from Peter Krantz suggests to use XHTML2 or RDFa.

It strikes me that this is an example of a language which we could have
developed within HTML5, if  Toby's Decentralized Extensibility proposal
had been implemented in HTML5.

Then we would not need develop new elements. How would you have looked
upon such a solution? All the stuff which relates to RDFa and @role
could have been added to those elements instead.

OTOH, we have - as you have noted - XHTML, which allows you to use
validly use specific elements. And, we can serve XHTML as text/HTML.
So, with HTML5 we get two kinds of text/HTML: "real" text/HTML and
XHTML text/HTML. The latter gives us much more freedom than HTML5.
leif halvard silli