Re: CfC: Publish HTML5 Microdata as First Public Working Draft and a new HTML5 Working Draft

> This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to publish the First Public Working
> Draft (FPWD) of the HTML5 Microdata spec:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/md/Overview.html?content-type=text/html

I support this publication. (I preferred the inclusion of microdata in
the HTML5 draft, but can live with microdata in a separate document.)

> and to publish a new Working Draft of HTML5 reflecting the split of
> Microdata:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html

I always support publishing further WDs of documents we've already
FPWDed.

Larry wrote:

> I’m opposed to publishing microdata as a FPWD of W3C HTML WG because
> it is not in the charter, or reasonably linked to any deliverable the
> working group is committed to,

The charter states that "the mission of the HTML Working Group[…] is to
continue the evolution of HTML," and encourages us "to provide a
mechanism to permit independently developed vocabularies[…] to be mixed
into HTML documents."

The microdata features simply *are* such a mechanism for including
independently-developed vocabularies in HTML documents, and so are
clearly within the domain of the WG.

> and there are many other much higher priority tasks and documents that
> the working group should put its attention to.

The working group is vast and contains multitudes; I don't see any
reason why we should artificially limit what some participants want to
do with their time. I think it's quite clear that microdata meet Sam's
standard of three, independent, interested parties.

--
Edward O'Connor