Re: Taking another round at @summary

On Jan 5, 2010, at 5:06 PM, John Foliot wrote:

> Really? Last I checked *none* of ARIA has been incorporated into
> HTML5...
> the only attributes that <table> can take (according to the current
> draft
> - http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/tabular-data.html#the-table-element)
> are the
> "Global Attributes" -
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html#global-attributes - and
> @summary.  Oh,
> and I double checked at the current Editor's Draft as well -
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-table-element - and
> nothing
> seems to have changed.

HTML5 has incorporated all of ARIA for some time, and all aria-*
attributes are allowed on any element, as long as they don't conflict
with strong native semantics.

Here it is in the latest Working Draft:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/embedded-content-0.html#annotations-for-assistive-technology-products

Here it is in the Editor's Draft:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#annotations-for-assistive-technology-products-aria

John, I know you must be aware that ARIA is in the spec because this
has been discussed many times at great length, on the mailing list, at
the telecons, at TPAC, and so forth. These discussions were before,
during and after the inclusion. I think maybe you are getting a little
over-passionate about this issue, and as a result perhaps generating
more heat than light in this thread. Now might be a good time to take
some time out, and then come back later and see if you can communicate
your points in a calm and fact-based way.

Thanks,
Maciej