Re: Browser implementations, prior to rec, used for justification

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 14:40:39 +0100
To: "Shelley Powers" <shelley.just@gmail.com>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: "Michael A.Puls II" <shadow2531@gmail.com>, "Scheppe, Kai-Dietrich" <k.scheppe@telekom.de>, "HTMLWG WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 14:31:21 +0100, Shelley Powers
<shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:
> And autobuffer is from which released specification, where we have to
> worry about legacy use?

We have to worry about legacy use regardless of whether there are released
specifications are not. There is no "released" specification that says
<embed> is for plug-ins and can be used yet everyone supports it and sites
depend on this.

This is no different from a new feature <video> that is implemented on
which sites depend. A released specification does not have much to do with
it.

The upside with <video> versus <embed> is that there is much more room for
input on its specifics and the general idea.

What we do not want I think is delaying all those features for many more
years. It is important to evolve the Web.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/