Re: Public feedback on HTML5 video

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 18:50:42 -0800
Cc: robert@ocallahan.org, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>, Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

On Dec 31, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Robert O'Callahan
> <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>
>> IMHO this entire thread is an overreaction to a Webkit bug. They'll
>> fix the
>> bug, meanwhile, everyone just relax :-).
>
> And Chrome. Also, right now, with they way the spec is written, it's
> not a bug, because it's spec conformant. This is the main issue I
> have.

We are motivated to fix quality-of-implementation issues regardless of
what the spec says. In any case this is more of a missing feature than
a bug. We originally implemented media elements before the
"autobuffer" attribute was added, and aimed our implementation mainly
at the video-centric page use case. Now that there's explicit buffer
control, we should make a distinction, and also support the use case
of pages with incidental video that is not likely to be played. We'll
probably draw that line differently depending on the platform and the
user's network conditions. I don't think the spec needs to be precise
about how to draw the line.

Regards,
Maciej