RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ?

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:31:21 +0100
To: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Cc: ian@hixie.ch, www-international@w3.org, ishida@w3.org, fielding@gbiv.com, public-html@w3.org
CE Whitehead, Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:57:22 -0500:

> because I never set my language preferences for a particular
> page--

If you have a Web browsers were you can actually either set the
language of the current document (e.g. when lang="" is failing) or
where you can override lang="" (e.g. because it is wrong), then I would
like to know about that Web browser.

I have never tried such a Web browser. But I would like to try it. It
could be a good feature - just as useful as the encoding menu currently
is (but of course, fortunately I seldom need to change the encoding
manually, and I expect that I only seldom would need to change the
language as well, if the UA supported this).

Note that "preference" is a wide term, at least I perceive it as such,
when it appears in specification. In the Web browser I usually use, the
default encoding is changed via the encoding menu. Thus I can change
the default encoding - including override the current encoding - very
easily whenever I will.
--
leif halvard silli