RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ?

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, CE Whitehead wrote:

> Hi, thanks for this info.  I do have pages that specify multiple
> languages for the meta element Content-Language (though if that were the
> only reason my pages were invalid--you get an error list--I could ignore
> the invalid info).  However, while I oppose search engines' using
> information in other meta elements (keywords, description) -- as this
> might encourage something akin to 'spam' on the web -- I do not see why
> the search engines do not make some use of the Content-Language keywords
> when a user requests a page for a particular locale/in a particular
> language.

In the case of Google, my understanding is that we are fine with using
language analysis and the lang="" attribute for this, and that
Content-Language doesn't really add much. However, if any other Googlers
on this list have any more specific information on this or if there are
other search engines who do actually find Content-Language useful, it
would be good to know.