Re: Alternate proposal for ISSUE-30 longdesc

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:03:42 -0800
Cc: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, HTMLwg WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

On Feb 22, 2010, at 6:30 , Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>> It is not axiomatic that laws, regulations and organisational policies are wrong. Many things done for accessibility begin as one of those things.
>
> I think Jonas's point was that they are not necessarily right.

More to the point, they were written with a particular version of HTML in mind and existence, whether or not they remembered to say so.  The laws in question, as I understand, were never intended to be prescriptive of what standards-writers wrote, merely descriptive of what was in the said standards (the laws are prescriptive in other respects, of course).

When the HTML version changes, should they wish to adopt it and prescribe how to use it, they are at liberty to do so.

David Singer