Feedback on using <details> as a replacement of summary="..."

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:03:40 +0200
To: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
(Previously sent to public-html-a11y@w3.org, but that address refused my message. This message has been edited slightly for clarity.)

In reference to:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Details_element_as_a_replacement_for_summary_attribute%2C_Feb_15%2C_2010

> 	 Allow details as a child of table or caption

Note that the "Spec Changes" part of the wiki page fails to include a change to the parsing algorithm for making it possible to use <details> as a child of <table> in the text/html serialization. (I'd be opposed to changing the parsing algorithm on this point, though.)

> 	 Replace the summary child element of details with a button.

This seems like a bad idea to me, because <button> has pre-existing behavior that isn't designed for making <button> act as a disclosure triangle and the disclosure triangle label.

P.S. What are "business reasons" for considering it unacceptable to have a visible description?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi