Re: Legacy Doctype and Doctype Versioning

From: Krzysztof Maczyński <1981km@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:41:03 +0100
To: "Leif Halvard Silli" <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, "Philip Taylor" <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: <public-html@w3.org>
>> ...just trying to understand... a DOCTYPE that previously triggered
>> standards mode will now (as in FF trunk + HTML5 parser) get you to
>> Quirks mode?
>
> Yes, but in pre-HTML5 browsers (IE, Firefox 3.6 without html5.enable,
> etc) doctypes will still only be parsed up to the *first* ">", so you
> will get the characters "]>" inserted as text into the body of the
> document, so today you can't use internal subsets in text/html anyway.
I actually use internal subsets, very occasionally, and then usually make sure that those characters won't be visible if some UA erroneously renders them. Most often by covering with some element's box using CSS. Thanks, Leif, for your clever solution at http://www.målform.no/html4-or-html5/take2_workaround which looks both cleaner and more universal. Have you got an explanation handy? As SGML I understand it but not how mainstream browsers parse it.

Best regards,

Krzysztof Maczyński