Re: Updated DOCTYPE versioning change proposal (ISSUE-4)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:25:54 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak, Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:19:40 -0800:

> On Feb 16, 2010, at 10:41 PM, Toby Inkster wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 19:41 -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> Also: should documents that request version-specific validation be
>>> considered conforming HTML5 documents?
>>
>> Yes, iff the validation version they request corresponds to a published
>> HTML5 recommendation.
>
> Leif's example was one where this would not be the case.

According to Lachlan, this does not matter:

	http://www.w3.org/mid/4B7BB225.9050908@lachy.id.au

Reading what Lachlan said, I must conclude that the goal of HTML5,
according to Apple Safari, Opera and Mozilla, is to kill off DTDs.  I
have created a test page here:

	http://www.målform.no/html4-or-html5/

It is a valid HTML4 page, with a strict DOCTYPE. Hitherto it has
triggered strict mode, in all browsers. But now, in Safari 4, Opera
10.5 and Mozilla Minefield, this is not so.

HTML5 is increasing the doctypes that triggers quirks mode to an
endless amount.
--
leif halvard silli