RE: A question about HTML5 elements and SVG/MathML

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> If these two things are considered "foreign elements", does that then
> imply that a "conforming HTML5 UA" is not required to support them?

There is indeed no requirement in HTML5 that an HTML5 UA implement SVG and
MathML (though there are requirements that they be parsed correctly).

I've tried to minimise the required dependencies. Really the only required
dependencies are ARIA, Unicode, and IRIs. Other than that, I don't think
there's really any requirement. For example, all the XML support is
optional, CSS and HTTP are optional, all the scripting and DOM stuff is
optional, things like Media Queries are only required if you support
things that make it relevant (e.g. a video format or CSS), and so on.