From: Sam Ruby [mailto:rubys@intertwingly.net]
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 11:19 AM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: Philippe Le Hegaret; Shelley Powers; HTMLWG WG
Subject: Re: clarification on Adobe Blocking

Larry Masinter wrote:
> Astounding

I am going to presume that this is in response to the chairs request to
post the Formal Objection on the public-html mailing list.  This despite
the fact that I don't see the words "Formal" or "Objection" any place in
this email.

Correction: while the co-chairs have made the Call for Consensus, the
request to publish came from the editors of these documents.

> These deliverables not in the charter, and do
> not have expected milestones. This is more
> than just a "scope" question. (I'm sure you
> can stretch the scope to cover how to
> eat cheese as an evolution of HTML4 if
> you want to.)

I believe that following response from PLH is relevant here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2010Feb/0016.html

> I can think of two possible remedies:
>
> 1) update the "Status of This Document" of
>    these documents so that it is clear they
>    are not currently (until a charter update)
>    deliverables of W3C HTML WG.
> 2) update the charter to include these
>    deliverables, with milestones
>
> 1: Updating the "Status of This Document" of
> these documents requires only someone
> (the editor, with direction of the chairs)
> to edit the documents before they are published.
> I offered edits which were made to the
> HTML5+RDFa document but not the others.
>
> The working group chairs have refused
> to request this change.

We have a process for requesting changes:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html

We have not refused anybody the opportunity to request changes via this
process.

> 2: Updating the charter would require establishing
> expected milestones for these documents, and
> then the director to notify the W3C Advisory
> Committee of the charter change; the rationale
> could be to split up the large document into
> pieces that can be reviewed. Again, since this
> is the intent, and there is general agreement
> to doing this, there should be little difficulty
> accomplishing this charter change.
>
> The working group chairs have refused to
> pursue a charter update.

The chairs reviewed the need to amend the charter with the Director:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/38

> I think there remain concerns about the
> actual milestones for progressing these
> documents, because of contentious issues
> like distributed extensibility and its
> effect on the metadata proposals, and
> accessibility for canvas. But addressing
> those are crucial responsibilities for
> the working group chairs to address,
> as required by the W3C process.

The concerns that have been documented are reflected in the document
themselves.  Here's an example:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/infrastructure.html#extensibility

> Larry
> --