Re: Video copy protection

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:39:08 -0800
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Cc: robert@ocallahan.org, Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com> wrote:
> >From the other direction, consider autocomplete="false" for an example
> of a feature that can be described as anti-user, but where the
> author-side use-case is so compelling that browsers all (AFAIK)
> implement it and make it hard for the user to opt out.

I really don't think of autocomplete=false as anti-user. I for one am
really happy that my browser doesn't attempt to remember my bank
password or my creditcard number on sites that use this.

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>> However, this might need some legal analysis with regard to the USA's DMCA
>> and possibly other laws ... in case such an attribute would be deemed to
>> constitute an "effective technological protection measure" and then any UA
>> not honouring the request could be legally liable.
>
> I think we, as implementers/authors/etc., should try to focus on
> technical merit without bringing up legal issues that none of us is
> qualified to properly evaluate.  I believe all the major HTML
> implementers employ lawyers who could be consulted prior to shipping
> the feature, just as they're consulted for other features of uncertain
> legal standing (e.g., Theora support), and I don't see much use in our
> prejudging the question.

I agree that debating legal issues here is largely useless. However I
wanted to raise a red flag with regards to this suggested feature
since I do feel that I would want input from our lawyers before being
able to commit to implementing this.

/ Jonas