Re: Video copy protection

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 01:56:49 -0000
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:42:58 -0000, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> This is a tricky situation. On one hand, if it helps people sleep at
> night and it helps adoption of <video>, then I'd be happy for the spec
> to include an attribute that means "the author politely requests that
> the UA not make an effort to make it easy for people to save the video",
> with the
> understanding that UAs may ignore this request.

Yes, that's what I had in mind. I'm sure that on the same day Firefox
hides "Save as" there will be 3 extensions released that put it back.
That's fine as long as it hides the option from an average user, including
pointy-haired bosses that would freak out if they saw "Save as" anywhere
near their videos.

> However, this might need some legal analysis with regard to the USA's
> DMCA and possibly other laws ... in case such an attribute would be
> deemed to
> constitute an "effective technological protection measure" and then any
> UA not honouring the request could be legally liable.

That's a good point.

IANAL, but is it possible to disclaim it in the spec or browser
documentation? Just explain that the option is only superficial and isn't
technologically effective measure?

regards, Kornel LesiƄski