Re: Video copy protection

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, QuickTime has had a tag in the movie file ('no-save') and also the QuickTime plugin had Kioskmode, and at least some people found them useful.  They are roughly on the scale of a little white fence saying "don't enter" -- they are low enough that you can easily climb over, but they're there, and you know you have done it and the source didn't want you to.
>
> Whether this level of notice is useful in the HTML 5 spec. context is a subject that could engage us for weeks, alas.  I (personally) don't see it as harmful.

As I said, my concern is that this could lead to applications being
legally required to honor the little white fence due to DMCA (and
similar legislation in other countries). I think that could be
immensely harmful.

Though ultimately I don't think that the 'no-save' flag belongs in
markup, but rather the video file format. And so I believe this is the
wrong forum for this discussion.

/ Jonas