RE: what's the language of a document ?

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Richard Ishida wrote:

> Did you see http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Htmlissue88 ? (Which has
> been submitted and was moved forward a notch at the HTML telecon last week).

I did not. (FWIW, I was told by the HTMLWG chairs that the telecons were
just status update meetings, so as I understand it nothing can actually
move at all during those meetings.)

> I'm just asking so that I know whether you took those suggestions into
> account when I read what you ended up writing - I noticed a couple of
> proposed changes there that you didn't do.

That's possible; I was going from my notes at the F2F. Please feel free to
file bugs for any remaining issues if you haven't already, and I'll make
sure to go through them carefully.

> I was about to write that I'm as happy with 'pragma-set default
> language' as with 'Content-Language pragma language', but on reflection,
> your proposal does still sound like the pragma may have set the default,
> whereas it wouldn't do so if there were an attribute on the html tag.
> (I know that CL pragma language is rather ugly though.)

I don't understand... doesn't the pragma in fact set the default?