Re: "image analysis heuristics" (ISSUE-66)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:30:38 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org
Ian Hickson wrote:
> ...and would help end-users almost zip, given what I explained in [1] as
> was supported by [2].
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0153.html
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0158.html
>
> If you disagree with this, please support your arguments. So far you have
> merely contradicted me without any attempt at explaining why you disagree.
>

>> *Please* explain how would the following text NOT be an improvement on
>> what is currently in the spec?  (which is nothing)
>>
>> "Not all users are able to use pointing devices In order to make
>> tooltips accessible without the use of a pointing device. User agents
>> must also make it possible to display tooltips using the keyboard.
>> Advice on how to provide conditional content (such as tooltips)
>> accessibly is available in the <a>User Agent Accessibility
>> Guidleines</a>"
>>
>> link points to -
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10/guidelines.html#tech-conditional-content:
>
> Well, first of all, it's not grammatically correct. I've no idea what most
> of that is trying to say. Secondly, it's a link, which as I've already
> explained would not be followed by most implementors.

When reading specs, I *do* follow links for stuff that's relevant, and I
know lots of others that do as well.

Please do not over-generalize.

And, as I said before, the likelihood of a link being followed depends
on how it is presented. The way links are presented in HTML5 clearly is
suboptimal, because it usually leaves the reader guessing what *part* of
the spec is referred to.

Best regards, Julian