Re: Integration of HTM

Maciej, you are making an assumption here. It may not be that the author
wishes to apply a style sheet through a UI that allows the users to walk
through all the alternatives and make a selection. We are having to do that
today in some IBM products for complex visualizations and it unnecessarily
complicates the UI for people that don't need some of the UI alternatives.
A third party may apply their own style sheet on any web page to choose the
content. It may also be a third party AT. Rather than populate a UI with a
variety of options the user has to choose from, we simply annotate the
markup with the resource meta data and trigger its rendering using a
generic style sheet.

If you don't annotate your content with pre-defined meta data your UI
author would need to provide a user interface of options that the user has
to do a manual selection of. There are set of standards in IMS Global
Learning Consortium that define resource meta data applicable to each
modality type.

Could we be doing what you are suggesting using CSS bound to non standard
resource meta data on a one off basis - and leave the selection up to the
UI designer? No disagreement, but this is an unnecessary burden on the
author and UI designer.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

             Maciej Stachowiak