Re: Open video for an open web

From: Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:25:31 -0800
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "Lars Gunther" <gunther@keryx.se>
Cc: <public-html@w3.org>
>> I propose that Theora should be re-instated in the spec as a
>> required
>> baseline codec, to be supported by all browsers. And the time to do
>> it
>> is now.
>
> Nice as this would be,
>
> 1)  If this doesn't get youtube and vimeo to transcode their stuff
>     Theora, does it really help?
> 2)  If you think that youtube and vimeo can be convinced to
> transcode
>     to theora and they do so, would the argument for having a
> required
>     codec be as pressing?
>
> (Maybe the answers are "yes" to one or both; I just don't know.)

Are those questions that even matter? The point is I want to use a
free and open (BSD-style not enough?) in a video element in my
document for my purposes. I'm not big time web video access
application. Just me that wants to publish a video that is legal for
me to produce and deliver in the HTML5 web browser environment using
the <video> element.
The big guys can do what they want. If I want to publish my stuff in
their environment, then must I convert to a form that makes me a
violator if there is an ad on the page?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Joe