Re: Introducing the W3C HTML/XML Task Force

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@marklogic.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:46:39 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "public-html\@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> writes:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Norman Walsh wrote:
>> As some of you are aware, this task force was
>> created by the W3C Technical Architecture Group[1] as a way to focus
>> attention on the its issue HTML-XML-Divergence-67[2].
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/67
> Is there a summary of the issue anywhere? I looked at the URL above but it
> didn't explain what the problem was, and searching Google for the term
> "W3C HTML/XML Task Force" didn't enlighten me either.

I'll try to pull the relevant bits onto the status page asap. Some of them
are in my introductory message,

The short answer is that an issue was raised at the W3C Technical
Architecture Group, http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/67
summarized by TV Raman:

  "Perhaps the biggest challenge that faces the W3C's technical work
  on the Web is the growing chasm between HTML and XML"

The TAG decided to to form a task force to investigate this issue and
what possible solutions, if any, exist. I think the first thing the
task force must do is articulate the issue in more detail.

                                        Be seeing you,

Norman Walsh
Lead Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation