Re: Report on testing of the link relations registry

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:29:38 +0000 (UTC)
To: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
cc: public-html@w3.org
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010, Tantek ~Gelik wrote:

> As far as what elements a particular rel value applies to, I suggest a
> single column: "element restrictions" with permissible values:

> elements in HTML
> * "only a, area" - only applies to "a, area" elements for example.
> comma separated list of applicable elements.
> * "not link" - applies to everything but the HTML "link" element for
> example. comma separated list of elements that the rel value does NOT
> apply to.  Of any non-empty restriction, I see this one being used the
> most often.
>
> If this seems sufficient for the information needed for HTML5, I can go
> ahead and add this column to the table of existing rel-values.

We actually need slightly more than that, assuming we want to just support
what the spec says now. This is the current description of the WHATWG
wiki RelExtensions page:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/links.html#other-link-types

Specifically, we need a description of the effect on <a>/<area> and on
<link>, and a list of synonym keywords for canonicalisation.