Re: CfC: Publish HTML+RDFa as First Public Working Draft

On Sep 17, 2009, at 4:39 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to publish the First Public
>> Working Draft
>> (FPWD) of the HTML5+RDFa spec:
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/rdfa/Overview.html
>>
>> Silence will be taken to mean there is no objection, but positive
>> are encouraged. If there are no objections by Thursday, Sept 24, this
>> resolution will carry.
>>
>> Considerations to note:
>> - As a First Public Working Draft, this publication will trigger
>> patent
>> policy review.
>> - As a Working Draft publication, the document does not need not be
>> complete, to meet all technical requirements, or to have consensus
>> on the
>> contents.
>
> As I think any comprehensible draft should be published, I'm all for
> publishing a FPWD of the HTML+RDFa document.

Thanks for supporting publication.

> However, I still think that RDFa is too comlex in its syntax for
> users, and thus I don't think it's the right solution for the web.
> Simplicity is extra important for something that essentially is
> 'hidden' metadata where using the wrong syntax won't give immediate
> feedback, but rather result in consumers of the data receiving wrong,
> or no, data. Or force consumers to use heuristics to correct said
> syntax.

If you have concerns that you think will ultimately block Last Call, I
encourage you to express them in the form of review comments, either
by email or bugs in the new HTML+RDFa bugzilla component. I realize
holistic concerns like "this whole design is too complicated" may be
hard to resolve through discussion, but we shouldn't leave such things
to be a surprise at Last Call time.

Regards,
Maciej