Re: what is dt?

From: Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:04:59 +0100
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, Smylers@stripey.com, public-html@w3.org
To: Stephen Stewart <carisenda@gmail.com>
Stephen Stewart wrote:
>> I concur completely with both your exclamation point and your
>> question mark. It's nutty advice that will be ignored by authors.
>
> How is it "nutty" and why will it be ignored by authors?

It is nutty because it suggests that a semantically empty element
(which is how the <b> element is now defined) is somehow suitable for
marking up the semantics of a person being cited in a
dialogue ...while obstinately refusing the accept that the existing
practice of marking up cited people with the <cite> element is a
viable option.

I know it will be ignored by authors because authors are smart.

A smattering from Twitter today:

http://twitter.com/gcarothers/statuses/4009205966
"Jaw, floor, WHAT?! http://bit.ly/48Bhta Why in the world would #html5
suggest using <b> tags to markup names?"

http://twitter.com/akamike/statuses/4008187173
"There are more appropriate tags than <b> for marking up names in
conversations. “The b element should be used as a last resort…” #html5"

http://twitter.com/cssquirrel/statuses/4009216559
"Well, if the <p><b> recommendations for dialog in #html5 persist for
a week, I know what I’m drawing."

But if more evidence is required, I'll see about putting together a
representative sampling of authors, sitting them in front of a
computer with a copy of Silverback fired up, and point them to the
relevant part of the spec so that we can see their reactions.

Keeping the <b> and <i> elements in HTML5 is already a lot for authors
to have to swallow. To suggest that these elements should be used
instead of more semantically appropriate elements isn't going to fly.

--
Jeremy Keith

a d a c t i o

http://adactio.com/