Re: <details>

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 13:55 +0200, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Your proposal and suggestion for how to use it seem to be conflicting.
> You seem to be proposing that if the attribute evaluates to true.
> i.e. <script implements="elements#details"> is supposed to check if
> the details element is implemented, and then executes the script if it
> evaluates to true.

No, what I've always said is that <script
implements="elements#details"> is simple, declarative markup indicating
that this <script> element provides an implementation of the <details>
element.

The usual behaviour of a browser with native support for <details> would
be to *not* execute the script. If the script was externally referenced
with <script> it need not even download it, saving precious bytes.

An alternative behaviour would be to disable its native support for
<details> and execute the script. I don't imagine that many browsers
would take this approach. However it may be useful to do this with more
complicated elements like <video>, where it might be advantageous to
disable a partial, native implementation, in favour of a fuller,
scripted implementation.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>