Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

Jeff Schiller wrote:
> Maciej wrote:
>> (46 errors, specifically about the use of attributes from foreign
>> namespaces in a way that is not allowed by SVG 1.1 itself.)
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?  Actually that use of namespaced
> attributes and elements is perfectly valid from what I can see.
>
> "Attribute "sodipodi:version" is not a valid attribute"
>
> Why?  The sodipodi namespace and prefix have been declared on the root element?

The document in question uses a DTD, and does not validate against that
DTD.  Being declared makes it well-formed XML complying with the
Namespaces in XML specification.  DTD validity is an additional
constraint on top of that.

Put another way, this is a namespace-well-formed SVG document:

   <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
        my-random-attribute="I made this up"/>

It is not, however, valid SVG 1.1, if by "valid SVG 1.1" we mean
"conforms to the SVG 1.1 DTD".

Of course SVG 1.1 section 23.1 basically says that SVG allows this sort
of markup.  I can't tell you whether that means the SVG 1.1 DTD is buggy
or whether section 23.1 is in error or whether something else bizarre is
going on.  But if you feed an SVG document that contains attributes not
declared in the SVG DTD through a DTD-based validator (like the W3C
one), then it'll come up as invalid.  That's just the nature of the beast.

-Boris