Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

From: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 16:28:10 -0500
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org
Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> Why is it that well-formedness isn't required for SVGs in HTML pages
> to begin with?  If it's not well-formed, you could just say it doesn't
> display.  In HTML, well-formedness requirements would make it
> impossible to use legacy content, but that doesn't apply to SVG.  All
> other SVG applications require well-formedness (right?) -- if HTML
> doesn't, then it will be impossible to reliably copy SVGs from HTML
> pages to other applications, creating interoperability problems.
> While requiring well-formedness has its downsides, I can't see how
> they outweigh the interop problems this would create.

Aryeh, I agree with you -- I don't think the well formed rule should be
relaxed, just because the SVG (or MathML) is dropped into an HTML page.

The issue is, I believe, and I can only speak as an observer on this
one, that HTML elements can be embedded within the SVG, and those HTML
elements may not be valid. The case could be in error, closing tags
omitted, attributes unquoted.

Personally, I think this is a stretch. I'd rather well formed XML be the
rule, and as long as the XML is well formed, it could all be included in
the SVG element.

Shelley