Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:28:59 +0300
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, public-html@w3.org
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
On Sep 7, 2009, at 00:21, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> Why is it that well-formedness isn't required for SVGs in HTML pages
> to begin with?  If it's not well-formed, you could just say it doesn't
> display.  In HTML, well-formedness requirements would make it
> impossible to use legacy content, but that doesn't apply to SVG.

This has been extensively discussed in the archives. There is legacy
content that cargo-cult pastes <svg> tags into text/html.

> All
> other SVG applications require well-formedness (right?) -- if HTML
> doesn't, then it will be impossible to reliably copy SVGs from HTML
> pages to other applications, creating interoperability problems.
> While requiring well-formedness has its downsides, I can't see how
> they outweigh the interop problems this would create.

This has also been extensively discussed. Supporting copy-paste from
XML to text/html is a design goal, but supporting it the other way is
hopeless.

I suggest searching the archives of this list for "SVG".

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi