Re: meter changes [was: Re: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5]

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Jim Jewett wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
> > I think the old name <gauge> was clearer, but it was reported as a
> > spelling problem, so the element was renamed to another word infamous
> > for spelling issues
>
> Maybe the answer is to change the meaning slightly, so that another
> word (such as "measure" or "ratio") would be appropriate.

<measure> would lead to people using it for any measurements, which I
don't think is what we want, as using a bar chart or other gauge-like UI
is not appropriate for most measurements.

(<ratio> doesn't seem right at all.)

The element is a gauge. (Wow, I just mistyped that word three times in a
row. I'm glad the element is not named <gauge>!) Certainly if a better
name than <meter> can be found, that would be great, but I think it's
important that it represent what it is -- a meter or gauge. ("indicator"
is sometimes used for this purpose but I think most people consider that
more of a boolean UI than a range UI.)