meter changes [was: Re: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5]

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:30:03 -0400
To: HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>
Henri Sivonen wrote:
> I think the old name <gauge> was clearer, but it was reported as a
> spelling problem, so the element was renamed to another word infamous
> for spelling issues

Maybe the answer is to change the meaning slightly, so that another
word (such as "measure" or "ratio") would be appropriate.

For example, allow it to represent a "range" rather than just a "known
range", and allow for cases where the minimum and maximum are
heuristic expectations rather than physical limits.

This would also require changing the note about height from

"... it would be wrong to use this to report a weight, or height,
unless there is a known maximum value."

"... it would be wrong to use this to report a weight, or height,
unless there are expected minimum and maximum values."

-jJ