Re: <meter> and <progress> (was RE: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:27:21 -0500
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> The problem with temperatures is that they're generally unbounded. Or
> at least doesn't have a hard upper limit. So I'm not sure how you'd
> use a <meter> with them.

When used in non-scientific contexts, temperatures are bounded; the
typical limits are something like -20F to 100F, with some slight
variation roughly by latitude.  The visual analogy is virtually always
a thermometer, which obviously has an upper and lower bound.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:21 AM, Leif Halvard
Silli<xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:
> So, if you accept that usecase description, then I think we can conclude
> that the words in a tag cloud represent meters - typically the font-size of
> each word represents the relative "hotness" of each tag.

Theoretically, yeah, those are totally (labelled) meters.
Realistically, I don't know if it's possible to style them
sufficiently to make that work (you'd have to somehow vary font-size
based on the meter's %).  Definitely a use-case to keep in mind when
discussing styling, though.

~TJ