Re: <meter> and <progress> (was RE: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5)

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:31:39 +0100
To: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Jonas Sicking writes:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:17 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ooh, temperature is an interesting use.
>
> The problem with temperatures is that they're generally unbounded. Or
> at least doesn't have a hard upper limit. So I'm not sure how you'd
> use a <meter> with them.

Some newspapers in their weather forecasts (or reports) use coloured
bars to visualize temperatures in way which makes it easy to see
relative temperatures (either of several places, or just of a single
place but relative to previous days' papers).

Clearly somebody involved in their production has determined appropriate
lower and upper bounds for the temperature bars.  Anybody wanting a
web-based equivalent could do likewise.

Smylers