Re: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:10:15 +0200
To: "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com>, "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:55:47 +0200, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2009, at 07:14 , Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>> - <dialog> element
>>>   This essentially gives the same behavior as <dl> but with appropriate
>>> semantics for logs of conversations. It seems useful and easy to
>>> implement.
>>
>> Useful for what? I don't yet understand what anyone needs this element
>> for.
>
> Yeah, unlike the others this one doesn't strike me as making the cut. As
> currently specified it doesn't see to me to be up to representing all
> but the simplest form of dialogue. You need more structure than that for
> a screenplay, and even a chat log requires things like joins/parts. This
> seems best left up to a form of microdata.

Apparently Microdata is not capable of expressing such things as you
cannot associate an item with a DOM node of some sorts. And if you want to
mark up a chat log it seems like you might want that as a line can contain
an image, URL, video, emphasized text, etc. So textContent would not be
sufficient.

Like HTML5's Super Friends I also think that <article> should probably be
removed and I suggested Microdata could be used instead. However, the same
problem exists there. I think we should change Microdata to address this
case.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/