Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:51:42 -0700
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
On Oct 21, 2009, at 6:42 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> FWIW, I put <a> on the weak list at http://hsivonen.iki.fi/aria-html5-bis/

You may want to move this one to the weak list, too.

embed (plug-in should be itself accessible)

The embed element may have a valid role of 'img', or perhaps a little
more contrived, a 'heading' (think sIFR) with an aria-label or title
attribute as the text alternative. I'm not saying it's a great idea,
I'm just saying I've seen web developers do worse, and nothing in the
spec should forbid the accessibility of valid markup, not even a
questionable use.

James