Re: Microdata: itemid attribute (feedback)

Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Given that RDF has been deployed for a while now, can you give any
> example where this feature has been used? I.e. where several
> *independent* parties have described properties of the same object,
> and used this identifying mechanism to do it.

If I understand your question correctly, yes, there is quite a lot of
URI reuse going on in RDF.

For example, dbpedia URIs are used by many dissimilar RDF users, as
are Musicbrainz URIs.
Here is a map of some of the URI sharing going on earlier this year,
in the RDF community alone.
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/pub/lod-datasets_2009-03-05.html

One could turn your question around and say, if I do have a strong
external URI for the thing this page is talking about where am I
supposed to put it in the markup when that markup contains a subset of
the data available for that thing on the web?

itemid allows any itemscope (object in the DOM) to be annotated with
what it is "about". Note that this is about the objects, not
properties in a schema.  That use case is covered by using fully
qualified URIs in itemprop or specifying an itemtype with a
vocabulary, like vCard etc.

-jg
http://freebase.com