Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:35:48 -0700
To: Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> I also can't
>> think of a lot of use cases for custom elements that couldn't be
>> served by a standard element with custom attributes, or a special
>> "class" value, or perhaps special RDFa or Microdata markup. Thus, I
>> would prefer we only cater to custom attributes.
>
> I think the primary use case is the readability of the source. I find something like <my-calendar> a bit easier to follow than <div class="my-calendar"> or <div data-my-type="calendar">.

Note that in order to be friendly to AT users, you would need to
sprinkle some ARIA attributes on <my-calendar>.

This is another problem if extensions start being used on the public
web. They carry no inherent semantic meaning, which means that unless
you take extra precautions (like ARIA), you are creating inaccessible
pages.

/ Jonas