Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:18:57 +0200
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
CC: Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Sam Ruby wrote:
>> I realize that there is some broken HTML content out there which uses
>> xmlns:* attributes, but doesn't expect them to have an impact on the
>> DOM. The question here is: how many namespace URIs does this affect?
>> Could we just exclude the big offenders (Word HTML export?) from
>> processing?
>
> My recollection is that the biggest problem was xmlns="".  As to Word
> export, the biggest problem is finding attributes with names that start
> with o:, but with no declaration for the namespace.

I also saw <o:p> (as opposed to <p>) being mentioned.

It appears to me that if we *wanted* to align HTML and XHTML namespace
handling more, we could. We just need to exclude certain constructs.

For instance:

1) ignore xmlns='...' and xmlns='' (default namespace declarations)

2) missing prefix declarations are ok, elements/attributes missing them
are treated as before

3) certain namespace URIs, such as the one used by Word's HTML export,
are completely ignored

I don't think these restrictions would be a problem in practice.

BR, Julian