RE: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:57:22 +0200
To: Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
CC: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
> That may look like a button but it still
> *is* a link and should not have a button ARIA role.

Don't style example below as Button. That's the very point.

Button = Action (Navigation only context-bound, i.e. opening of a related window)
Link = Navigation

Given that, assigning role="button" to an <a> that does "pure" navigation is nonsense.
It should be styled as link and should have a role of link.

- Stefan