Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

Sam Ruby wrote:
> In this case (issue-41/action-97), the simpler questions are:
>
> 1) Can everybody live with the parsing rules that are specified in the
> current HTML5 draft?  (If not, what needs to change?)

I think it would be good to investigate whether HTML and XHTML parsing
rules can be aligned somewhat more.

Right now the parser puts HTML elements already into the XHTML
namespace, and does similar things with MathML and SVG.

Beyond that, the DOM it produces is inconsistent with what an XML parser
would produce for a similarly looking document. Can we do better?

I realize that there is some broken HTML content out there which uses
xmlns:* attributes, but doesn't expect them to have an impact on the
DOM. The question here is: how many namespace URIs does this affect?
Could we just exclude the big offenders (Word HTML export?) from processing?

BR, Julian