RE: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:40:26 -0400
To: "'Phil Spencer'" <phil.spencer@digforfiredmg.co.uk>, "'Jon Gunderson'" <jongund@illinois.edu>, "'T.V Raman'" <raman@google.com>, "'Jonas Sicking'" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: "'Steven Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, <mjs@apple.com>, <public-html@w3.org>, <wai-xtech@w3.org>
>But it is often bad HTML in so far as it is not semantically correct, e.g.
>Making a custom button from a bunch of divs when you could use a more
>semantically appropriate element such as <button>. That isn't an intended
>use of HTML?
> Or maybe they currently "can't" because you can't style a  button
>enough to give it the desired rendering.
>This is exactly one of the reasons why ARIA was invented .. in artwork for
>web development, function follows form and not vice versa. This lesson is
>hard to learn, I know.
Sailesh: The solution then is to enhance the styling capabilities available
to authors. Overriding the native role of elements  by using complex JS and
CSS is like re-inventing the wheel or  creating more work for  oneself.
>ARIA is also to end up discussions like "ok .. manual says "press the
>button there". Which button? My AT announces 'link'".
Sailesh:At the end of the day after all that "work" what does one have? A
link or div or image  coded and made to look like a button when one could
have simply  used the button element or INPUT type=img and gone  on to
accomplish far greater things        in the day.
Sailesh Panchang