Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:08:12 +0200
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Jonas Sicking On 09-10-22 15.36:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:
>> Lars Gunther On 09-10-22 01.53:

>> [...]
>>
>>> So while I do not agree - this time - with Steve and Shelley, I must
>>> emphasize that the wording on the error messages in the validator must
>>> strongly suggest using the button element, and really not be worded in any
>>> way that discourages the use of ARIA.
>> I think the issue must be split it two:
>>
>> (1) If there is conflict between the role attribute the element, then should
>> the validator assume that a misapplied role or a misapplied element?
>>
>> (2) What kind of roles are the <a> element meant for?
>
> There's also the question, "Should any role be allowed on any
> element". For example I asked earlier in this thread if it should be
> conforming to have an <h1> element with ARIA attributes indicating
> that it is a botton. It seemed like at least some people thought that
> that should be conforming.

In the spirit of "don't break the Web", the most important
question seems to me be to be "should it work?" Should a <h1> with
a role="button" be presented as a button in accessibility devices?

It seems to me that it should work - it should be presented as a
button. But that, at the same time, a validator should consider it
an error to apply aria="button" to a <h1>.

Comments?
--
leif halvard silli