RE: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:32:39 -0400
To: "'HTMLWG WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, "'W3C WAI-XTECH'" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
> Or maybe they currently "can't" because you can't style a
> button enough to give it the desired rendering.
>This is exactly one of the reasons why ARIA was invented .. in artwork for
>web development, function follows form and not vice versa. This lesson is
>hard to learn, I know.
Sailesh: The solution then is to enhance the styling capabilities available
to authors. Overriding the native role of elements  by using complex JS and
CSS is like re-inventing the wheel or  creating more work for  oneself.
>ARIA is also to end up discussions like "ok .. manual says "press the
>button there". Which button? My AT announces 'link'".
At the end of the day after all that "work" what does one have? A link or
image  coded and made to look like a button when one could have simply  used
the button element or INPUT type=img and gone  on to accomplish far greater
things        in the day.
Sailesh Panchang
Accessibility Services Manager (Web and Software)
Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
Reston VA 20191
Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)