Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

Hi jonas,

the examples are not sites but YUI and  and jQuery widgets, so they are
being used on many sites.

>Wouldn't it be better for these sites to use a <button> element
>instead? Or maybe they currently "can't" because you can't style a
>button enough to give it the desired rendering.

of course it would be, but the developers have decided to use  the a
element.

a related example: wouldn't it be easier for example for the gmail
developers to use a <button> for the  "search mail" button in gmail
instead of

<DIV id=:r9 class="J-K-I J-J5-Ji ipG21e J-K-I-JW" tabIndex=0
closure_hashCode_5dymj1="112" act="" unselectable="on"><DIV class="J-J5-Ji
J-K-I-Kv-H" unselectable="on">
<DIV class="J-J5-Ji J-K-I-J6-H" unselectable="on">
<DIV class=J-K-I-KC unselectable="on">
<DIV class=J-K-I-K9-KP unselectable="on">&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=J-K-I-Jz unselectable="on">Search
Mail</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>

styled and scripted to look and act like a button?

I would think yes, but they obviously don't

best regards
Stevef

--
with regards