Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:26:09 +0200, Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk> wrote:
> Microdata was a *feature* of HTML in the recent HTML5 WD, but was not
> published as a WD in its own right. If publishing a WD commits us to
> retaining every feature of it, then I guess <dialog> will be making a
> comeback?

The point was that publishing a WD does not commit us to anything.

> Splitting out Microdata as a separate WD would actually secure its place
> in the HTML5 WG's work, committing us to taking it to Rec or Note status
> (eventually). Until that happens (and based on my, admittedly limited
> understanding of the W3C process) the HTML WG has made no commitment to
> keep Microdata.

Something ending up as a W3C Note or being dropped from a draft is about
the same as far as success of the particular feature goes. It failed. If
there was commitment to keep either RDFa or Microdata or both they would
not still be under discussion.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/