Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:26:09 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 19:07 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I also agree with Sam that Microdata is in the same boat, by virtue of
> being published as a Working Draft.

Has the HTML WG really made the same commitment to Microdata?

Microdata was a *feature* of HTML in the recent HTML5 WD, but was not
published as a WD in its own right. If publishing a WD commits us to
retaining every feature of it, then I guess <dialog> will be making a
comeback?

Splitting out Microdata as a separate WD would actually secure its place
in the HTML5 WG's work, committing us to taking it to Rec or Note status
(eventually). Until that happens (and based on my, admittedly limited
understanding of the W3C process) the HTML WG has made no commitment to
keep Microdata.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>