data-* attributes [was: Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility]

From: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:23:21 +0200
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Shelley Powers On 09-10-19 14.19:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:03:33 +0200, Shelley Powers
>>> <shelley.just@gmail.com>
>>> I wasn't aware that the concept of distributed extensibility or
>>> decentralized extensibility came with a particular syntax. I'm not
>>> convinced
>>> that authors will have trouble with long identifiers. I actually think
>>> identifiers with a level of indirection will be more difficult to
>>> handle.

>>> For the widgets scenario one could just use data-* attributes. Also,
>>> a lot
>>> of added complexity is not necessarily superior in my book.
>>
>> But data-* are neither decentralized, nor particularly extensible. In
>> fact, we've determined in previous discussions that they're not meant
>> to be used for anything other than by an author for a single author's
>> needs.
>
> In that regard, I wonder why SVGweb operates with a data-path=""
> attribute in the Internet Explorer part of that solution ...

Unless I have misunderstood something, that is a perfectly acceptable
use of data-*; a third party js-library is not considered independent of
the site (since the site must decide to import the js-library into its
pages).

To take a slightly different example, it is OK to have data-marquee that
is used by a script that the author includes in the page to implement
marquee effects. But it is not permitted for a user agent to provide its
own marquee effects based on the presence of a marquee attribute.

Is the distinction clear now? It is likely that the spec needs
clarification on this point.