Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

Shelley Powers On 09-10-19 14.19:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:03:33 +0200, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Anne, but then don't we have the use of URIs with namespaces? The only
>>> difference is we specify the URI in one place and make a small, easy
>>> to use alias for use elsewhere. If anything forcing people to repeat
>>> an entire URI with each class name...that could add up, quickly and
>>> significantly.
>> I wasn't aware that the concept of distributed extensibility or
>> decentralized extensibility came with a particular syntax. I'm not convinced
>> that authors will have trouble with long identifiers. I actually think
>> identifiers with a level of indirection will be more difficult to handle.
>>

>>> And that doesn't account for the need to extend HTML with elements.
>>> Class names could possibly work as attributes, but not as elements.
>>> With namespaces we can create both elements and attributes. A superior
>>> option.
>> For the widgets scenario one could just use data-* attributes. Also, a lot
>> of added complexity is not necessarily superior in my book.
>
> But data-* are neither decentralized, nor particularly extensible. In
> fact, we've determined in previous discussions that they're not meant
> to be used for anything other than by an author for a single author's
> needs.

In that regard, I wonder why SVGweb operates with a data-path=""
attribute in the Internet Explorer part of that solution ...

The draft:

]]Custom data attributesp80 (e.g. data-foldernameordata-msgid) can
be specified on anyHTML element, to  store custom data specific to
the page.[[

]]Custom data attributesp80 are intended to store custom data
private to the page or application, for which there are no more
appropriate attributes or elements.  These attributes are not
intended for use by software that is independent of the site that
uses the attributes.[[
--
leif halvard silli